Hurricane Season

Who ever ordered this weather can send it back. It’s the last week of June, and we have yet to get a sail up this year, besides the day the plastic 155 got loaded into the furler and the re-cut showed that it’s all that was expected. Of course, it hasn’t been deployed without the…

For Rent

Here’s what happens when you don’t seal up every single one of the 26,571 places that literally anything can get into the boat. Normally we get to deal with dragonflys, spiders, mosquitoes, spiders, and the occasional spider. I did notice a rather large amount of bird poop on the bow when I collected the boat…

and so it begins again

  Welcome 2017. After a particularly lousy summer last year, and a rather late start to this year, we are finally in the water. Not without some new challenges it would seem. Both batteries were charged, and both were well below what was necessary to get the little Westerbeke to start. After screwing with a…

Dodgeball?

The dodger project is coming along. There was a lot of evaluation put into the project, with the 270 being in the “pocket cruiser” category, there’s not a lot of leeway to get it right, functionally and visually. The frame has to come apart, or fold away, as there’s no way the mast is coming…

Turn this way

The new folding wheel arrived over the winter and the self imposed deal was that the wheel couldn’t be installed until the bottom job was done. Now that the bottom is done and the boat is finally in the water, the new wheel got installed. As with anything modified, there’s always a gotcha, and this…

Grey day

The bottom was sanded. What started out being 80 grit, literally burned through the bearings of the little sander in a couple of days, and wasn’t accomplishing much except to make a heck of a mess. Armed with another new sander, and a couple of bulk packs of 6o grit, the paint came off lickety…

White Sand

The bottom paint was falling off, and in general the bottom was in need of some attention. There was a question of what was underneath 15 years of build up, and pretty clear indication that there was no barrier coat ever applied, although there was an area at the bow that showed some discolouration, leading…